Leaked guide for dating 500 just 10 copies christiandating ru
His late-1920s photograph of the Rainbow Fleet of sailboats has endured as the most popular picture ever taken of the island. Condition: Some light wrinkling and slight toning, and a minor split at one fold, o/w good condition. Albertype views from photos include: Gay Head Landing And Pavilion, Mode Of Conveyance From Wharf To Gay Head Light, Alighting From The Steamboat, Cutting Clay For Souvenirs, Simon Johnson, Chief Of The Tribe Odf Fay Head Reservation, The "City Of Columbus" Sunk Off Gay Head, Third Crew Gay Head Indians (Mass. , Tuckernuck is a low bleak island, ringed with sandy shoals and often entrapped by foul weather. Includes Chapter XVII; An Act for Granting to the United States of America, the Light-house situate on Brant Point, at the entrance of the harbour of Nantucket.
Image measures 7 x 9 , the coloring is superb and photo is clean and crisp, matting has darkened a bit from age but is quite clean as well. A wonderful piece of Nantucket memorabilia, a superb Rare early document consists of four pages, one filled out in pencil, measuring 8 x 14 folded. In addition to the content of these letters, just the signatures of the Secretarys of the Treasury themselves are of value to collectors. The protector of the western end of Nantucket Island, Madaket Mille (Mildred Jewett) watched for shipwrecks, cared for her animals, sold ice cream. Humane Society boat), At The Foot Of The Cliffs, "City Of Columbus" Before The Wreck, "City Of Columbus" After The Wreck, Gay Head Light, Gay Head's Latest, First Crew Gay Head Indians (Saved Eight Persons From Wreck Of "City Of Columbus") (Mass. The island has an area of about 900 acres (1.4 square miles). This document speaks to a very important time in our light-house history, when the colonial period gave way to the central government, and it was realized that lighthouses were a national concern In 1789 Congress passed an act assuming to the central government responsibility for all aids, and this local Act follows. and in the harbor as additional aids to vessels approaching the harbor.
Featured on our web site and in our monthly web catalogues are new and out-of-print books, documents, post cards, photographs, maps and charts, engravings, lithographs, uniforms and insignia, tools, lamps, lens apparatus, equipment and apparatus and much more relating to these heroic services. Senator (Mississippi) and Governor of Kansas Territory just prior to the Civil War.] Walker writes this letter as U. Secretary of the Treasury to Captain Charles West of Tisbury, MA, appointing him as Keeper of the Light House at Holmes Hole [West Chop], on Marthas Vineyard, Mass., at a pay of 0 per year. October next & continue until further notice at the Salary of Three Hundred & Fifty dollars per annum. To aid vessels heading in and out of the harbor as well as coastal traffic passing through Vineyard Sound, Congress appropriated ,000 on March 3, 1817 for a lighthouse on West Chop of Holmes Hole. A round stone tower and a stone Cape-style keeper's house were constructed about 1,000 feet southeast of the old location. Close, clear view shows great detail of a fisherman sitting on the fence in front of his fishing shack. He made the decision sometime around the age of 60 to retire from the hubbub of humanity and live alone in a slightly ramshackle dwelling in quiet Quidnet. View is uncommonly clean and clear, providing a close view of the station buildings. This suit had been tested by Captain Boyton of the New Jersey Life Saving Service, when he was dropped over the side of a steamer into the in 1878. Includes also the lighthouses and many light vessels that guarded against the treacherous shoals in the area. Certainly one of the best and most interesting and complete sources on the subject.
We now issue most of our catalogues on line rather than by mail. The first lighthouse here consisted of a 25-foot rubblestone tower, erected along with a stone dwelling in 1817. The 1846 tower was later enclosed in shingled wooden sheathing, creating in an octagonal form. Close, clear view shows great detail of Nantuckets still surviving smock mill. On one shack behind him is a quarterboard of the vessel Cornella. He was a man of intelligence and possessed a large stock of general information. There, after a number of unsuccessful attempts to get a shot line aboard the stricken vessel, Keeper Chappell then donned the Merriman life-saving dress and made two valiant attempts to carry a line out to the vessel.
Green with gold frame has some wear to edges, measures 13 x 15, with original kraft paper on back with period label for "Swain's Art Store, 317 W Front Street, Plainfield, NJ. I believe that this document lists subscribers to erect or to pay for a keeper at one of the first five lights on Nantucket Brant Point c.1740s 1780s. Examination of references on the subject list values of these autographs in the range of to 5+ [Robert Walker , Levi Woodbury 5, etc.], making these rare documents of value to the collector as well as the researcher and author. Millie died at in 1990 at age 87 and is remembered as a crusty figure of local Nantucket island lore. From lovely Nantucket comes this rare English Wedgewood Nantucket Souvenir Plate in cobalt blue decoration made for local shops in about 1910. Humane Society boat), Gay Head Indians And Rustic Conveyance, Second Crew Gay Head Indians (Saved Thirteen Persons From Wreck Of "City Of Columbus") (Mass. Often ice bound in winter with high tides, Tuckernuck, like its neighbor Muskeget, was the scene of many shipwrecks through the years. On the afternoon of October 21, 2013, Gay Head Lighthouse researcher William Waterway discovered the 1844 stone foundation for Marthas Vineyard, Massachusettss original 1799 wooden Gay Head Lighthouse when it was moved back 75 feet from the eroding cliffs. A very rare copy of an important Act, in wonderful condition. View is clean and clear, providing a good view of the station buildings.
A wonderful piece of Nantucket memorabilia, a superb . Coffin and titled in pencil on the matting under the photo. Included are many good old Nantucket names including Fitzgerald, Coffin, Lamb, Winslow, Folger, Macy, Chadwick, Harps, Holland, Potter, Hussey, Ray, Friend, etc. Mildred Jewett was born in 1903 and performed her first rescue at eleven years old. A very detailed, pretty piece for your display with beautiful detail. A superb, bright, cobalt blue commemorative plate features a large, beautiful clear, detailed image of the tall Sankaty Head Lighthouse, first lighted in 1850 on the steep sand bluff. With brief historical notes of the construction and lighting on the back. Humane Society boat), Monohansett (Steamboat), Nantucket (Steamboat), Martha's Vineyard (Steamboat), Island Home (Steamboat), River Queen (Steamboat), and Gay Head Light House And Cliffs. Early pre- civil war document details tool and supplies including hand drilling hammer & handles procured for repairs made at Gay Head Light station. Document is signed by Dodge Gilbert in receipt of payment. Its population consisted occasional fishermen with only seasonal increases by the local Island Club gunners taking advantage of the prolific fowl population. Today, still standing tall on the colorful clay cliffs of Marthas Vineyard, Gay Head Lighthouse continues to provide safe passage to seafarers as it has since 1799. Also contains various other Acts concerning the establishment of Towns and commerce, etc.
A vibrant crisp hand tinted photograph entitled "Heartsease, Sconset" and signed in pencil by H. 9 x 16 folded dated September 20, 1847, Treasury Department [Washington D. Charles West, in turn, was replaced as keeper by his son, Charles West, Jr. The younger West remained at the station until 1909, ending a remarkable 62-year father-son career. A group of fishermen can be seen watching from the bluff. Behind can be seen many of their homes on the bluff. A greatly detailed view, quite clean and clear, near fine.
Marshall Gardiner is in original decorated wood frame. On the left is the cottage known as Hearts Ease, with blooming roses adorning the fence and house. Marshall Gardiner (1884-1942) was the son of photographer William Henry Gardiner, and spent his early years in images are in the collection of the Nantucket Historical Association. [history exerpted from New England Lighthouses.net] Document is in hand in ink on light blue P&S embossed stationery. This scarce turn of the century view book of the Gay Head area on Marthas Vineyard features 15 large full and half page local views. A greatly detailed view, quite clean and clear, near fine. A greatly detailed view, quite clean and clear, near fine.
This allows us to issue more catalogues and feature more items, with better photos and descriptions. The first lighthouse keeper in 1817 at this station was James Shaw West (unknown if related), who remained keeper until he resigned in 1847. Built in 1746 by Nathan Wilbur, a Nantucket sailor who had spent time in Holland, the "Old Mill" is the oldest functioning mill in the country. A greatly detailed view, quite clean and clear, near fine. He read constantly and on his death a fair-sized collection of his notes and observations was found; it was even said that hed intended to write a book. There are very few views in existence of the boatroom at Surfside, and even fewer of the Merriman suit. A similar view recently fetched over 0 at auction.
Let us know your email address and we will email you monthly as our catalogues are posted. He was replaced by Captain Charles West (via this appointment letter) who served as Keeper until 1868. Early view shows the fishermens shacks and barrel or drag fish cart on the beach. Early view shows a group of fishermen posed on their dories and fishing gear on the beach. Built as a wedding gift in 1686 for Jethro Coffin and Mary Gardner, it remains the sole surviving structure from the island's original seventeenth-century English settlement. A greatly detailed view, quite clean and clear, near fine. (excerpted from Hermits, Asylums, & Suppression of Vice by Mary Miles). View is nicely intact with only a bit of darkening and some light soiling.