Brookline dating jewish
In 1844, the synagogue petitioned the City of Boston for 100 square feet of land in the East Boston City Cemetery, but the petition was rejected.Later that year, the synagogue purchased 10,000 square feet of land for a cemetery at the corner of Byron and Homer Streets in East Boston; the City approved this purchase on October 5, 1844.On March 22, 1845, the State of Massachusetts granted the congregation a charter of incorporation.From 1846-1852, congregants met in a private home on Albany Street.The German Jews took Sachs with them when they broke away from the congregation, as well as the Ohabei Shalom name and rights to the cemetery, building, and bequest monies of Judah Touro.Temple Ohabei Shalom was founded on February 26, 1843 by several Boston Jewish families, and is the first synagogue established in Massachusetts.
However, there were factions within the congregation that eventually created a division between the Polish and German Jewish congregants.Polish Jews were unhappy with the Bavarian rituals and the German cantor Joseph Sachs.In 1855, the German Jewish congregants left Ohabei Shalom and founded Congregation Adath Israel (now Temple Israel in Boston.) The Polish Jewish congregants maintained the name Ohabei Shalom and the cemetery land in East Boston.In 1858, East Prussian Jews also left the congregation, forming Die Israelitische Gemeinde Mishkan Israel (now Miskhan Tefila in Chestnut Hill, Massachusetts.) This collection contains flyers, programs and tickets for events as well as copies of bulletins and newsletters, such as Temple Ohabei-Shalom, Brookline, Massachusetts Temple Ohabei Shalom, the oldest synagogue in Massachusetts, was founded on February 26, 1843 by the families of Isaac Wolf, Peter Spitz, William Goldsmith, Bernard Fox, Charles Heineman, Jacob Norton, Abraham F.
Block, Moses Ehrlich, Bernard Wurmsur, and Julius Spitz.
Ohabei Shalom ("Lovers of Peace") initially held their services in the Spitz home on Fort Hill, but soon elected their first officials of the congregation-Moses Ehrlich, President; William Goldsmith, Vice President; and Abraham Saling, Rabbi-and moved their services to Rabbi Saling's home, where they were conducted until 1845.